Certificates For Free Transportation
The Office of Pupil Transportation (OPT) works in conjunction with MTA New York City Transit to provide free group subway transportation certificates to schools. These certificates may be used by groups of students accompanied by teachers while traveling to and from educational field trip sites during designated days and times.
Certificates are valid for round-trip travel on subways only and will not be accepted on buses. The certificates may be used:
- Monday through Friday (they are not valid on Saturday, Sunday or holidays).
- Between the hours of 9:30 a. m. and 3:00 p. m. only.
- Year round—including summer.
- At any subway station of the NYC Transit System and Staten Island Rapid Transit.
- For a maximum of forty students and four adults. For a minimum of five students and one adult.
To request certificates, schools can click on the button towards the bottom of this page.
Schools can choose to combine yellow bus service and certificates to accommodate their field trip needs. For example, a school may use yellow bus service to travel to their destination if they are leaving after 9:30 a.m. and use certificates of transportation for return travel by subway if they will return later than 1:30 p.m.
To use combined services, schools should:
Free subway passes for use at other times of the day and on weekends and holidays are available from the NYC Department of Youth & Community Development.