Stop to School Transportation (Yellow Bus)
Students using this type of transportation are assigned to a safe predetermined bus stop at an intersection by school staff. Students use the same stop both in the morning and the afternoon. Bus route information includes pick up and drop off times: students must be at the stop when the bus arrives. Based on enrollment, schools may have multiple stops and routes to serve their students.
In order for a student to receive yellow bus service, each of the following criteria must be met:
- The student must be eligible for full fare transportation;
- The student must be in grades K-6
- The student's residence must be in the same district as the school (if attending a public school) or the same borough (if attending a charter or non-public school).
- The student's school must have yellow bus service available for all eligible students
- A bus stop within the student’s grade/distance eligibility exists or can be added to accommodate the student.
If each of the above criteria is met, students pre-registered for school opening will be assigned a bus stop. Parents of late-registering students may request yellow bus service at their school. School staff will check eligibility and assign the student to a stop or request a new stop through OPT.